Your Questions Answered
What are Key/Essential Skills?
In order to complete the ETT Electrical Apprenticeship NVQ Level 3 Electrical Installation programme, you to have Essential Skills in:
- Numeracy - Level 2
- Literacy - Level 2
- ICT - Level 1
By gaining Key/Essential Skills qualifications you can demonstrate the ability to perform more effectively at work.
Who needs to undertake Essential Skills?
All apprentices must undertake Essential Skills at Level 1 or 2, unless they meet the following criteria:
- hold A/AS Level or GCSE Grade A* - C in English or English Literature, Mathematics or ICT
- hold Key/Essential Skills at a level required within their NVQ Framework, within five years prior to starting the ETT Apprenticeship programme
How do I get paid?
Your employer is responsible for your wages. Wage rates are determined by the Joint Industry Board (JIB) for the Electrical Contracting Industry. Normally, an employer will increase your wages on successful completion of each stage of training.
How much financial support is available for applicants over the age of 24?
The DELNI is the source of policy and funding when it comes to the important issue of age. The 2012 policy tells us that full funding is available to those who under 24 years of age. For those over this age, funding is reduced by 50%.
What qualification is an apprenticeship equivalent to?
The framework qualification for an electrical installation apprentice is set at Level 3. According to research by the London School of Economics NVQs are not formally defined in terms of equivalence to conventional academic qualifications. However for the compilation of social statistics and other purposes, approximate equivalences have to be established.
The following equivalences are used by the Economics’ Research Lab
- NVQ 1 = foundation GNVQ, three to four GCSEs at grades D-E, Business & Technology Education Council (BTEC) first certificate.
- NVQ 2 = five GCSEs at grades A*-C, BTEC first diploma.
- NVQ 3 = two or more A levels, BTEC Ordinary National Diploma (OND), City & Guilds Advanced Craft.
- NVQ 4 = BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND), or City & Guilds Full Technological Certificate / Diploma
- NVQ 5 =NQF 7-8