Are you a practising electrician, who needs to gain or update your qualifications?
by Chris Walker on 10 June 2013
Are you an electrical worker with no electrical qualifications? Or do you have an incomplete electrical qualification? Do you need to update your current qualifications? Have you been thinking about upgrading from the role of helper or labourer to that of a qualified electrician?
The solution to these questions may be found in the ETT Practicing Operative Scheme (POS). The POS scheme provides a pathway for suitably experienced electrical workers to achieve an NVQ Level 3 electrical installation qualification.
The NVQ Level 3 qualification is recognised throughout the UK as the means of evidencing entitlement to be graded or described as a qualified electrician. Most local procurement organisations e.g. Councils, Public Housing, Health, Education and Environment stipulate “qualified electrician” when choosing contractors, as part of their terms and conditions.
The POS scheme is not suitable for everyone. The scheme is designed to help electrical workers who already possess good skills and knowledge.
Please consider the following.
- You will need to have a good range of construction industry experience. This means working on a variety of jobs, with different materials, plant and equipment. We accept operatives with five years site based experience.
- The POS is based on accrediting or recognising skills and knowledge that you have acquired. An Assessor will consider all of the evidence and knowledge that you have and help you determine a plan to become fully qualified.
- This is not an easy route and will present most candidates with a number of challenges. You will probably need to do some technical studies, particularly around the current electrical regulations. It will be necessary for most candidates to attend workshop events.
- Gathering and verifying evidence of your skills and knowledge is the main objective. We make use of a number of techniques, including site observations, on-line portfolio, witness statements, employer endorsements. We try to match these techniques with your availability, time and resources.
- We offer a discreet service. The initial assessment is free, and can normally be carried out over the telephone. If you would like to meet us face to face, please feel free to make an appointment. There are no up front payments, and we may even be able to help you with some funding support.
If you would like to hear more, please call Chris Walker on Tel: 02825650750.