The tried and tested route for most electricians to become accredited in the area of electrical inspection and testing, is achieved through participation in a directed learning course.
Learning alongside others, especially in a live online environment, provides valuable opportunities to sit-back, listen and engage through questions and shared experiences that are conducive to successfully meeting your CPD goal.
From the comfort, safety and security of your home or office, our expert lecturers will pass on a wealth of technical knowledge to help prepare you for those all-important assessments. We will also help you get to grips with the necessary hands-on practical skills in our Covid secure assessment centre. Building confidence on the use of test instruments, good practice and completion BS7671 paper work is an essential part of ETT’s course offering.
This is a Level 3 qualification which means you will need to home-study and revise in preparation for the online examination. We will provide you with simulated exam questions and tips on how prepare for both the online and practical assessment. Access to on-site practical experience in the use of instruments across the range of test sequences on single and three phase system would also be beneficial.
Who Should Attend?
This course is intended for qualified electricians/supervisors who have experience in inspection and testing and certifying electrical installations. Candidates should have passed the BS 7671: IET Wiring Requirements and have a working knowledge of the current IET Guidance note 3. If you have limited experience, or if you have been trained but you feel your skills or knowledge is a bit dated, you may wish to consider taking the 1 day Inspection & Testing Practical Workshop first.
The course is 5 days taken over a number of weeks. The course will generally be broken into three parts and structured as follows:
- 3 consecutive days of live online learning [theory]
- 1 day of practical and completion of the online exam
- Final day practical assessment completed
To complete the training, you will need to have either a PC or laptop with a webcam and be able to download GoToTraining software prior to the course commencing. Step by step guidance on how to access the training will be provided to you. You can read more about our live online courses and Covid safe assessment centre here. You will need to have a copy of the books for the duration of the course and for revision purposes. Please note, we will provide a clean copies of the books for the exam which is undertaken at our exam centre.
This EAL Level 3 Inspection & Testing course will cover the specific methods of inspecting and testing all types of installations, whether single or three-phase, to the current requirements of BS 7671. It covers the inspection and testing techniques as given in IET Guidance Note 3 and considers how to professionally complete Certification and Reports.
Key areas covered include:
- Safe isolation of electrical circuits and installations
- Requirements for initial verification of electrical installations
- Requirements for completing the inspection of electrical installations prior to their being placed into service
- Requirements for the safe testing and commissioning of electrical installations
- Requirements for testing before circuits are energized
- Requirements for testing energized installations
- Requirements for the completion of electrical installation certificates and associated documentation
- Safety of systems and equipment prior to completion of inspection, testing and commissioning
- Inspection of electrical installations prior to them being placed into service
- Commissioning electrotechnical systems and equipment
- Throughout the above you will also cover:
- Health and Safety requirements
- Relevant documentation
- Factors that affect conductor resistance values
- Common earth fault loop paths
- Methods for verifying protection
- Requirements for determining fault current
- Procedures for dealing with clients
Guidance Note 3: Inspection & Testing, 8th Edition ISBN 978-1785614521
IET On-Site Guide (BS7671:2018, 7th Edition) ISBN 978-1785614422
BS 7671:2018 Requirements for Electrical Installations, IET Wiring Regulations 18th Edition (blue) ISBN 978-1785611704
Exams and Assessments
• 2 hour online open book exam
• Short assignment completed whilst on the course
• 2.5 hour practical assessment usually completed on week 4/5
Any subsequent resits will incur a fee of £75 for the online exam and £90 for the practical assessment.
Awarding bodies state that
“any books taken into exams cannot contain the following:
• Sample exam questions, answers or diagrams
• Any writing in the regulations or accompanying written notes
• Notes, diagrams or any content that may in anyway advantage the candidate in answering questions within the exam.
It is the responsibility of the centre (ETT) to ensure the material in the candidate’s resources cannot unfairly advantage candidates in any way. If there is any doubt over the suitability of content the
publication should not be used and replaced with a ‘clean’ publication.” To remove any uncertainty or additional stress to candidates during exams by having to check each page of their book and possibly confiscate their books.